Download CV (.docx, 11kb)
Continuously improve my aptitude for design and research through the lens of financial technology, public services, or healthcare industries, where I feel end-to-end experiences have tremendous potential to bring about life changing, positive impact for people.
UX Design Researcher
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Started January 2017. Philadelphia, PA.
Part of the new Digital Services Team leading UX initiatives through all phases of the UCD process: discovery, synthesis, prototyping, usability testing. Accomplishments include:
- Defining the experience and visual identity of an internal and public facing web application in an agile environment.
- Exploring a problem space, researching current practices, and defining goals for customer relationship management.
- Leading the first-ever initiative of using artificial intelligence to augment customer service abilities of front-line staff.
- Providing expertise and guidance in topics of interaction design, user research, and user testing for colleagues and management.
MSc Human Computer Interaction with Ergonomics
University College London. September 2015 - September 2016.
- Awarded a Merit for my MSc Dissertation: Assistive Technology Design Guidelines to Support Independence for People Who Have Dementia.
User Research Assistant
Sony PlayStation Europe. June 2016. London, UK
Helped the lead user researcher guide 80 participants through virtual reality usability testing for a PlayStation 4 video game.
- Guided participants through a pre- and post-test questionnaire about motion sickness and helped fit VR gear to their head.
- Learned about managing the researcher-participant interaction, controlling for bias factors and how to move forward a slow usability test to ensure relevant data was collected.
Access Group, Inc. May 2010 - August 2015. Pennsylvania, USA.
- Planned and led quantitative and qualitative user research initiatives.
- Increased product webinar attendance and generated new ideas for webinars by continuously measuring user satisfaction through surveys. Webinars were an important medium of generating new business.
- Improved email campaign open and click rates by 20% through A/B testing and quantitative analysis of metrics.
- Led email marketing to a 10% increase in engagement among potential customers by creating a qualitative user research plan to increase web service use.
- Created a solid foundation of user needs for a student loan calculator by conducting competitor analysis, working with a domain expert in finance, and writing usability test scenarios.
- Increased press, web visits, service adoption, and company image on social media by designing wireframes and storyboards to clearly articulate ideas and features for the company’s website redesign.
- Lowered web page bounce rates by 20% while exploration of web content increased by convincing senior management for a topic-based information architecture.
- Wrote content, help guides, and error messages for a student loan application.
- Saved thousands of dollars for the company as sole web developer and maintainer of a WordPress version of the corporate website. This included server setup using Apache, authoring all HTML and CSS, and scripting basic functionality with jQuery and PHP.
Web Marketing Internship
Access Group, Inc. June - August 2009. Wilmington, Delaware.
A summer internship during my undergraduate degree where I learned the basics of web marketing and development, user experience, teamwork, and project management.
- Introduced to the realm of user experience by making usability suggestions to improve a student loan application.
- Managed all content updates for the corporate website. This included HTML and CSS authoring for web pages and email marketing campaigns.
- Managed a summer-long university scholarship contest aimed to increase goodwill, public visibility, and knowledge of Access Group and its services within the industry.
BA English with Technical Writing
University of Delaware. September 2006 - May 2010. Minor in Computer Science.
ACM CHI Conference. May 2016. San Jose, California.
- Awarded a team honorary mention for the Student Design Competition. Our design competed against a 19% selection rate from world-wide entries.
Skills and Techniques
- Sketching with pen and paper; storyboards; mapping experiences
- In-depth interviews; observations; affinity diagramming; survey design
- Heuristic (usability) analysis; hierarchical task analysis; card sorts
- Wireframes; storyboarding; low and high fidelity prototyping; physical prototyping with hardware
- Design: Sketch.app, Balsamiq Mockups, Omnigraffle, InVision app